Saturday, September 11, 2010

September 11, 2001 in Ft. Worth, Texas

We all have our own 9-11 stories. September 11, 2001 is a day that is forever etched in our minds and hearts. EVERY American remembers where they were, what they were doing and how they felt as they learned of and watched the murderous attack upon our country that beautiful Fall morning.

I have often pondered on the irony of that day. When I got up that morning, I, following the routine that my youngest daughter,Allie, and I had established for weekdays, stepped outside to get the morning paper. I so clearly remember standing there for a moment and thinking, "God, what a beautiful morning!" The air had just a slight nip to it, unusual for early September in Fort Worth, Texas. The sky was sooooo blue and not a cloud in it. It was so refreshing.

I went back in the house and got my morning cup of coffee...and just placed the paper on the kitchen table to look at after getting ready for work. I liked getting my make-up on and hair done before the morning struggle of getting Allie out of bed. I had just returned the evening before from an out of town client call and I had awakened tired, but the fresh morning air had cleared my mind and I almost felt enthusiastic about my day. All the "big guys" at work were out of town on client calls, so aside from my paper work from my trip, the day promised to be an easy and relaxing one at the office.

Also, routinely, I turned on the TV in my bedroom and sat down at my dressing table to put on my "work" face and bend a few curls in my hair. The subject of the newscast was about the Shandra Levy murder case...did Condit do it and why did he toss the watch into the trash..and yada yada yada. The voices soon just became background noise as I went over my agenda for the day...paperwork a few calls and where to go for lunch.

Once I was "beautified", I started the task of getting my daughter up. She did not greet the morning with enthusiasm. She, like me, is NOT a "morning person", but after three tries, three false starts and one threat from me, she got up and stumbled into her bathroom. I heard the shower start and knew she would stay up this time. I stopped on my way back to my room for my second cup of coffee. Upon entering my room, the voices on the TV caught my attention. They were saying a plane had hit one of the towers at the World Trade Center. "What the hell...." I actually said out loud. By then, they had a shaky video, apparently from a hand held camera, showing this gash in the tower that was hit. I stood frozen, watching, looking at the building and the sky. It was as clear in New York City as it was in Ft. Worth. "How in the HELL could a pilot NOT see that building?" I asked...again, out loud. I sat down to put on my jewelry for the day, but was keenly aware of the newscast now.

I heard my daughter finally in the kitchen fixing her cereal. It was such a "normal" day, but now marred by this horrible accident in New York City. I finally realized I could not just sit there, I had to get dressed, so I went about choosing my outfit for the day; something simple and comfy, but still..the dreaded heels and hose...argh!

My daughter wandered into my room and I pointed to the TV and began to tell her about the plane hitting the tower. Her fifteen year old self mumbled "OhmyGod........Mom...hurry up, we're gonna be late!" All in one breath. How does that work...I had to drag HER out of bed, now she was rushing ME? TEENS!

So, make-up on, hair done, dressed, purse and briefcase in hand, a quick check of cat food in Miss Scarlet's dish, Allie with her 300 pound back pack slung over her shoulder, we stepped out into September 11, 2001.

I delivered Allie to school with the usual, "Do you have your lunch money?" "YESSS, Mom" and a roll of her eyes. "Are you going to Sissy's after school?" "YESSSSS, Mom.."..another roll of her eyes....and my "Have a good day..." that was never heard because she was always already 10 steps up the sidewalk. So, I pulled into the line of cars waiting to exit the school parking lot. I changed the station BACK to WBAP, from some station that played NOISE in the name of MUSIC. They were announcing that a second plane had hit the other tower of the World Trade Center in New York. A cold chill ran up my spine. The "accident" was NO ACCIDENT.

I do not remember my ten mile drive from the Everman area to our offices out on west I-30. I don't remember taking the right exits or stopping at traffic lights, but I am sure I did. I arrived safely and without getting a traffic ticket. I just remember hanging onto every word I heard from the radio. I DO remember that at some point, I grabbed the car phone and called the office and told our receptionist to have everyone turn on their radios.

I don't remember walking from the car to the building or the elevator ride to the second floor where our suite of offices were. I do remember that when i walked in everyone was gathered around one of the consultant's radio. That is pretty much where we all stayed. Our minds trying to grasp what was happening...as each of the crashes were reported...the Pentagon. The crash of Flight 93 in Pennsylvania. One of our consultant's parents lived near the Pentagon. She was on the phone frantically trying to reach them. The offices next to us had a TV, and at some point, our staff wandered over there to watch. I felt we needed to stay together, so I hopped in my car and ran to an Office Max just down the street, ran in and bought a small TV set for the office, thinking that would at least keep the staff together and near the phones. But, after a bit, they fell silent.

The day's events, although in remote places suddenly became very local. We had managers in Indiana and in New Orleans, who were now stranded. All air traffic other than military, had been banned. They were scrambling to rent cars to get back home. Around 11:00 or so, our building alarms sounded. I remember thinking, "THIS is NOT the time for a damn fire drill!" But, as it turned out, it was NOT a fire drill...our building manager had received a BOMB THREAT! We ladies all broke protocol and grabbed our purses...before being herded down the exit stairwell. The scene..what we were doing..ALL of it was so surreal! As I scrambled down the stairs with the folks from all over the building, I thought of my kids. "God," I prayed, "Please...let me see them again!"

Once outside in what had in what had felt like such a wonderful Fall day just hours before, we learned that seven buildings in Ft. Worth, including the Federal Building where the wife of our managers who was stuck in New Orleans, worked, had been threatened. The Ft. Worth bomb squad was spread thin that day.

Our staff gathered together at the furtherest end of the parking lot and discussed what was happening, keeping each other calm and trying to inject humor when and where we could. There wasn't much. The firemen arrived, the bomb squad arrived, the police arrived and suddenly, all I wanted to do was to go get my kid and go home! Two hours later, we got the "all clear" to return to our offices. We did..but just long enough to shut it down.

Perhaps the most chilling moment was...when I went to my car...I heard the roar of jet engines. Our offices were located near the Carswell Joint Services Base. I looked in that direction to see stealth bombers taking off, one after another...scrambling. THAT brought reality of the situation into very clear focus for me. It shook me to the core. I got into my car and wept. I knew then that out world ..our country...our lives had just changed forever..on that beautiful, perfect Fall morning.

School was dismissed. I got my daughter HOME. I walked in, turned on FOX News for the very first time and I don't remember how many nights it was before I really slept again. Even now, nine years later, at LEAST one of my five television sets is tuned to FOX, lest there should be another horrible attack.

In the days that followed, I remember the eeriness of NO PLANES in the sky. Now, when you live in the DFW area, that is just WEIRD! DFW International ALWAYS has, at any given time, at least a half a dozen planes either landing or taking off. There were NONE. The only planes we did see, from time to time were military...jet fighters.

I remember, however, the sudden appearance of the American flag. It was being flown on homes, on cars...taped to windows. I heard choruses of "GOD BLESS AMERICA" from everyone. There was this wonderful, bittersweet, unification of ALL Americans. I hate that we lost that over these last nine years. I remember the deep sense of PRIDE...in being an AMERICAN. I remember watching President Bush...and thinking, "God thank you for this man as our President...and NOT Al Gore!" I would watch him and weep with pride...at his courage to stand up against the terrorists...and NOT treat them as common criminals, having the courage to identify our enemy and go after them!

I don't know if we will ever have that kind of unification in our country again. I do know that we MUST if we are to survive...and I pray every day that it will NOT take another 9-11 to bring it about. It is way past time for us to be AMERICANS...tall, proud and courageous, once again.

God bless America..ALWAYS!

Sammye G.

No comments:

Post a Comment